Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rio de Janeiro takes Care of their Elderly



I think the city of Rio de Janeiro read my obesity post or something because action has been taken.  The government of Rio de Janeiro has put in public exercise equipment in plazas around the city.  Keep in mind, this equipment is meant for the elderly. But they do not discriminate in Brazil and you can see people of all ages enjoying the movement of their bodies.

As you can see in the pictures, we aren't talking the 80s prison version of exercise equipment. These bad boys swing and flex, using resistance as their method of madness.  Think of it as new age physical therapy for the rusty.

To make things even better, they have a publicly paid trainer go and give classes. I saw it with my own eyes.  Personally, he was a bit pudgier than I like my personal trainers, but it's free and in a plaza.  Beggars can't be choosers. And before you judge me on the pudgier comment, I think it's logical that the person giving you physical fitness advice actually be physically fit. Call me a philosopher or something but it just makes sense.

So the old folks go to their Tai Chi in the park and then cruise to the plaza for a little stretch/movement training. I just may sign up to be old and start focusing on my self improvement.


The personal trainers work at these exercise centers from 7 to 10am and from 4 to 7 pm. And Largo do Machado is not the only old person fitness friendly spot.  You can find more of these centers at Anchieta, Cavalcanti, Bangu, Praca Seca, Ilha, Flamengo, Leme, and Copacabana.

Yo, People of the US, it is now officially cool to take care of your elderly! Send Grandma a note and tell her to put on her Havaianas. You are picking her up and taking her to stretch her legs at the plaza.


5 comments:

  1. I think there's something awesome about being trained by someone who isn't a 'perfect' example of fitness. Those people are easier to relate to and it goes to show that everyone is at different stage in their fitness goals!

    On the other hand, it's been making me soooo happy to see the oldies swinging on the machines in Largo do Machado. I love that people aren't afraid to use that equipment. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    That would be great, right now our newly elected Republican Congress is trying to put an end to social security as we know it... :(
    They need more than the exercise memo to start treating the elderly with more consideration...
    It must a trend in Brazil, Gil's mom in Sao Paulo is also involved in exercise classes all paid by the city, with personal trainers and all...I think these are great initiatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. The obsolete equipmente painted in bright colours, the oldies, the fitness instructor with a beeer belly... I can easily picture that !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita, the equipment is quite nice actually. I really hope it stays that way!

    Linds, I'm crazy but I like to be slightly intimidated by my trainers. Someone to scare me into listening. I'm far too much of a slacker ;)

    Gil and Ray, I'm just horrified by our republican'ts and their stupid sheep followers who don't really realize what they are supporting. Really don't get me started on the rich republican'ts that totally know what they are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They've had those in Parana for quite a while now and it's tenderly called "estica véia".

    ReplyDelete

/>