Thursday, September 8, 2011

Brunching like an Expat


Yesterday I went to a fabulous brunch at a fellow expat's place. I have to say, one of my favorite parts of being an expat is brunch! It's a tradition a bit lost with Brazilians although they already do pretty nice breakfasts down here in the first place.

I think the real problem is that Brazilians are obsessed with lunch. They just can't go a day without sitting some time between 1 and 4 pm for a large meal. It would be sacrilegious for them. 

Us foreigners understand the beauty of the brunch. It's breakfast and lunch combined! Where can you go wrong with that? And brunches always showcase the best from each contributor. 

Here a tradition was created somewhere along the line that the host provides a large base and each guest brings a nice additional item to pick at. It usually comes in the form of some really good bread from a hard to find French-style bakery or a pastry that takes far too long to make for anything other than special occasions.  

My absolute favorite comes from the kitchen of Becoming Brazilian. She makes this ridiculously amazing spinach, salmon, and cream cheese roll thing. Of course it's completely homemade and makes my tongue scream like a... let's just say in a very NC-17 way. 

Anyway, it was a wonderful way to spend our day off! Not only did I get to spend time with friends and their families, I also got to meet some new fellow foreigners. There were people from everywhere. It felt like we were at a UN meeting or a Carnival Cruise or something! 

And I am already reading some of the minds out there. Yes, I like to hang out with my fellow expats. While having our Brazilian circle is wonderful, it is also nice to hang out with families like our own. It is a chance for all these traveling and bi/tri -lingual children to chat with others like them. Us parents get to talk about all the kinds of things we adults talk about as well as all thing fellow expats discuss.

Finally it seems that I have my yin and yang, my expat and Brazilian friends. We were a bit heavy on the yang there.  And while you can never go wrong with yang, a little yin is much appreciated. 

4 comments:

  1. I love love brunch and so does Ricardo. On sunday he sometimes asks me to do a brunch instead of lunch. The thing that is so funny about the big meal lunches is, that in Brazil every doctor I have had told me not to do it.

    They have pushed with me 6 small meals a day. I have to say that sometimes I like a big meal and I like to skip meals. But the snacking is nice too. I feel better when I eat lightly throughout the day. I have heard personal trainers say this in the US but never a doctor. Anyways, I thought it was ironic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doctors recommend having 6 small meals a day to me in Germany too but like you said I too like a big meal and I like to skip meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brunch is seriously my favourite meal of the day! I must introduce Brazilians to Canadian pancakes, maple syrup and bacon when I come ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beer before noon is a wonderful way to spend the day off. Brunch gives you the excuse to crack open a can!

    ReplyDelete

/>