Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Update on American Tourists hurt in Rio



I just can't seem to wrap my mind around this.  I know things happen, and they happen a lot in Rio, but a manhole cover!  A sewage explosion of sorts?

If you come to Rio de Janeiro as a tourist, you can imagine a few potential unfortunate incidents.  You could get shot, robbed, hit by a car, or step into sewage run off from a leaking manhole.  I'd never imagine that I'd be walking down the street, minding my own business, only to be practically blow up! 

At the very least, the couple (it's not just an American woman but an American couple) should be receiving good care.  They're staying at Clinica São Vicente in Gavea. 

Sara Lawri and David Mclaugheim were cruising Copacabana, like a million other people, when the subterranean gallery blew up as they were crossing over the manhole cover. Sara has burns over 80% of her body, is in critical condition, but is lucid.  David has burns over 35 % of his body. 

It has not been determined if Light, the Brazilian electric company, is at fault or not.  CEG, the Brazilian gas company, has tested the area and didn't find the presence of gas.  This is the first time an accident of this proportion has been registered. 

I actually saw Light blowing something up under the street, via manholes, down the street from my house a couple of weeks ago.  They had the entire street blocked off. I can't imagine why they would need to do that, even if they have lines down there... Anyone know?

Their family is on this way to be with them at this time. 

Please send them your prayers, energy, protective spirits, or whatever it is you believe in! Sara and David, my thoughts are with you and your family!

Here is the original article. Keep in mind it's in Portuguese:  O Globo

5 comments:

  1. When my fiance had a heart attack, he was taken to Clinica Sao Vicente and we stayed there for a week. I'm glad to hear this couple was taken there, we had excellent care and I know they have a burn unit there. We'll be thinking of them and hoping they recover soon. What a freak, horrible thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is crazy. Those are the sort of freak events that could happen anywhere, but they are still scary. I hope they are okay.

    I saw that you commented on my blog. It did help me put things in perspective. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should know that administration of RJ is extremely arrogant and unefficient and these accidents are frequent, with a lot of injured people.
    Take a look at this manhole explosion on June 2011
    http://www.hirideyo.com/journal/iris/2011/04/02/manhole_explosion_in_copacabana

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and don't forget today explosion always in Copacabana 6/25/2011, always manhole explosion

    http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mat/2011/06/25/duas-caixas-subterraneas-da-light-explodem-em-copacabana-924766689.asp

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read about that one this morning...

    ReplyDelete

/>