Monday, July 26, 2010

Making out gets you one step closer to being a Carioca


I noticed something that I had totally forgotten about Rio de Janeiro, MAKING OUT!

Holy crap, if you didn't know better, you'd think that it was the end of the world and everyone had decided to spend their last moments getting it on.

It's everywhere.  I think there are as many couples making out, at any given time, as there are coconut vendors.  And they are not being modest, or just passionate, they are getting it on oral style.  Dirty minds, curb your thoughts. Not that kind of oral. 

I'm talking about deep throat, tasting your lunch, hardcore kissing. 

The best part of noticing this trend all over again was remembering all the times I did the same thing with my husband. There is something freeing about being able to have a passionate kiss in the middle of a wedding reception, at a bar with friends, on the dance floor, in the metro, on a bus, on the sidewalk, in a bathroom, and everywhere else in this city. Maybe they frown upon it in church but I really can't be sure.  Catholics are strict but these are Brazilian Catholics. 

The best part is that it doesn't even matter if there are people at the table, sitting next to you, or even talking to you for that matter. Ok, the last one may be a bit rude but I doubt anyone will hold it against you.  It's ok to have a mini make out session in the company of friends.  I do believe Cariocas actually think it's healthy.

And you just have to love the get-your-love-when-you-can-get-it attitude.  Then again, I love a good kiss, kisses, kissing...

I think I should go visit my husband at work.

2 comments:

  1. This habit by young folks drives me a bit crazy. I want to say "get a room!" but I don't have the witty translation down as yet. Fabinho - can you help?

    I do get it that grandma is camped out on the sofa at BOTH of the young couple's apartments. There really is no place to go (until they get a car and can drive to the Love Stallion Motel). But the bold - in your face-ness of it all.

    I must say that as a gay guy if Luiz and I tried this (in our younger years) we would have gotten a bloody nose from some creep who would insist on separating us.

    But then - let the love flow... go for it kids. It's better than getting into trouble somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gotta be the hot weather or something...
    :)

    ReplyDelete

/>