Thursday, July 22, 2010

Old Lady Carioca to the Rescue!


I was walking home from the pediatricians with my little ear infection baby this morning.  The police have taped off half a corner, next to a busy walk way. It's a great way to keep people from getting hit by crumbling buildings as opposed to actually fixing them.

Anyway, a kid, not knowing it was serious, crossed under the tape to avoid the crowds. Her mother freaked out and she jumped out at the nearest point, right next to me.  Domino effect. 

This run in pushed my stroller unexpectedly forward and it bumped the heel of an old lady. I was so embarrassed! Of course it was not my fault, nor was it that hard, but it sucks to have your foot hit by a stroller.

The lady obviously did not share my relaxed view of getting bumped into and started to tell me off. She dramatically grabbed onto her husband to lean down and stroke her heel. She then proceeded to whine and cry that it was her bad foot and I just hurt it so much more.

Don't get me wrong, I felt bad and apologized profusely. But people, there is no way this woman felt anything in her big orthopedic tennis shoes and with that small of a tap!

Then the unthinkable happened.  Another old lady came to my defense and started telling the first old lady off.

Girl fight, old lady style!

The second old lady told her that it was barely a tap and that if her foot was so bad then she shouldn't be out walking in such crowded areas!  Damn straight!  She then continued to defend me, telling her that I hadn't even been the reason the stroller hit her and that if she didn't calm down she'd end up dying of a heart attack.

It was a beautiful old Carioca lady moment!

3 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    This is beyond hilarious, I can only picture it in Rio.
    No lack of excitment, that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great! Could only happen in Rio is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. I suddenly have a burning desire to recruit her as my entourage...

    ReplyDelete

/>