Sunday, October 17, 2010

Commerce Day


So tomorrow is commerce day in Rio de Janeiro. To true Carioca style, the shops will be closed. 

What? No sales?  No come in and spend you money? 

Nope. This is Rio.  People would rather have the day off.  For example, all the hip clothing shops in Ipanema are closed on Sundays.  You´d think they´d stay open and get the street traffic from all the beach goers. Hell no! They are the beach goers! 

And do non-retail working Cariocas complain? Not at all. They understand the wanting of a day off.  They too enjoy days off. 

Of course, you can always go to the mall.  The mall is open, shortened hours but open. 

I have to say, I was originally annoyed by this. The thought that I can´t go to the supermarket because it´s commerce day was irritating.  Now I prepare. I went to the store this evening to stock up on the little things I´ll need tomorrow. 

In the end, I enjoy it. It shows the Brazilian´s priorities.  And they are right, it´s not about the money! 

I´m just surprised my kid´s school isn´t closed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

/>