Old Photo of the Grandpa explaining the beauties of oranges to a pregnant me
Mr. Rant's Grandfather has rules for living a healthy life. Goodness knows where these rules come from but they seem to work. The man is 93 years old and other members of his family lived passed 100!
Personally, I'll take 90 and then go on my way. I'm not into the idea of being the person dusted in the corner, and knowing my lazy ass I will be! I suppose I should start following these rules anyway as the average lifespan in my family is about 70 years old, maybe not even that.
So here are his rules:
1. Start your day with a glass of water. Drink or eat nothing else before your glass of water.
2. Have a fruit smoothie every morning. His has a base of orange juice and usually includes a papaya and banana along with numerous grains such as cerveja (wheat used to make beer).
3. Eat well. This man, at his 93 yrs of age, eats like a horse. Actually, more like a Northeastern horse. Yes, that means significantly more food and spicier. FYI: This means real food and not microwavable crap.
4. Clean out your nose. I find this disgusting, Mr. Rant is a HUGE fan of it, and I read that it is actually good for you. You basically go to the sink, put some water up there, and then you blow it out. Nauseating for me to hear in the am but supposedly good for your sinuses.
5. Stay active. This man was active until like 3 years ago. He did the Saturday morning farmer's market run for his household, ran errands in downtown Rio, and did it all sporting a button up shirt and slacks.
There you have it. These are the tricks to living a longer and healthier life. There are also a few things that I have observed him doing that are not necessarily rules. He eats a lot of oranges, at least one after meals. He says it aides in digestion. Fish is at least a weekly part of his diet. His wife also cooks dark leafy greens in their homemade black beans. That means double the goodness.
Last but certainly not least, napping is good.