Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Old Man Dance Club - Stream of Consciousness Sunday

Me and a Sweater Guy

A cool thing about Rio is that they have nights where clubs play American 70s, 80s, and 90s music. They have playlists you'd never get in the states! Amazing stuff!

So when a friend called me to tell me about a club down the street from my house, I was 110% in. It was Friday, I had a long week, and Momma wanted to dance!

However, I was a bit confused when we arrived at the place. I was surrounded by men in Grandfather sweaters and grey hair. The further into the club we went, the older the average age got.

I didn't know? That was my friend's response when I asked her 'What the hell?'. That night, there, was for the "older" crowd. Oh and they aren't playing around with the term older. My estimate would have the mean age of around 62.

And it rocked! I felt like I was 18 again! You know what, in comparison to everyone else I was. There was no obnoxious man issue. In actuality, the men looked kind of sweetly confused by everything going on around them. I even saw one get pounced on by some woman.

When they did come talk to me, it was like being in a old school movie. There was no sarcasm or showing off. They were very flattering and gentlemanly, even if just ordering a drink next to you at the bar. I even had one tell me I must be a model. Maybe in your world Mr, but I'll accept the compliment just the same!

Of course it was past my bedtime by the time slow dancing hour came about. Yes, they stop the dance music at a certain point to put slow dancing songs on. Even though my dance card was empty that night, I didn't stop to try my luck. I'm a married woman. That and it's rude to tease a senior citizen.
----------------------------------------------


Fadra's 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post.  Here are the rules…

Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.
Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
Link up your post below.
Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.

12 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! It sounded like a high school dance! Slow music at the end of the night....so neat! I could use a night out....SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Sounds like you had a blast! I love your attitude about the whole thing too! Wish I had been there!

    Stopping in from SOC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound awesome! Part of the reason I have never been one for the dance club circuit is because here in the states it always seems to be about the SCENE, and not about having fun.
    Honestly, senior dance party sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that rocks! pretty much every night is like that at my local bar. it's so much more fun to just have fun instead of having to fuck w: the crazies. and you are a model! a real-live internet personality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O this is hilarious!! How fun, though!!! I don't go out to many bars anymore .. and when I do, it's with people I work with (and many of the men are about as you described them at your bar!), and again, married woman not on the market, but still ... I remember what a club looked like when I was in college and I wonder if that's totally changed now. The place I used to go to, Firehouse, ironically burned down some years ago ... but it was always packed with football players and good dance music and I think they didn't let anyone over 25 in the club to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol! I love this! Yeah, sometimes it's nice to be around an older crowd every once in a while. Kind of refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really was a great time! The older crowd made it all tha tbetter lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you know you have somewhere to party when old age comes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, can my mid-20s person join? Sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

/>