Thursday, September 30, 2010
Portuguese - check
I have a trip to my girly parts doctor today. Just a little check up. When I stop to think about it, it always amazes me that I do these things in Portuguese. I mean, it´s just crazy to think that I arrived here speaking nothing and then ended up delivering both my boys using a language other than my native to communicate.
So I thought I´d do a list of the things I am proud that I can now manage in Portuguese:
1. Doctors: We´re talking pediatricians, gyno, ER doctors. I´m at ease with my Portuguese medical vocab. Ok, not so much but I´m damn good at charades now.
2. Dentist: This was surprisingly hard. Just as dentists all over the world, my dentist asked me questions while my mouth was full of stuff. I had a hard time slurring in Portuguese but she seemed to understand. That or she´s a good faker, maybe I should ask her husband...
3. The Butcher: I used to be afraid of the butcher. I don´t know the different cuts very well and the butchers I´ve met are always in a rush. I manage now. If they get impatient, I just take a little longer.
4. Gas station: Have no idea why this made me nervous. It´s full service for goodness sake. Needless to say, one time and I mastered this challenge.
5. The Gym: Half the time I don´t know what the hell the trainer person is saying. First off, I´m in the middle of a workout. Second, they just start spouting out random words. Not a big deal though, they are usually there to tell you your position is wrong. If you don´t understand they´ll just fix it. Basically, I´ve always had pretty touchy feely relationships with gym trainers. Poor Rachel.
6. School Admins: At first I got so overwhelmed by the info that I didn´t understand anything. Now I manage with the Sass God gave me and even ask for discounts. What can I say, the discount is the Brazilian way.
How about you ex-Pats out there? What have you mastered in a foreign language that´s made you proud?