I love the water in a cold freshly opened coconut. It's seriously good stuff. Now, Brazilians believe that this water is the cure all for everything. When in doubt, drink some coconut water. This goes double for the poops, dehydration, vomiting, and hangovers.
You know what, they have a point! Check out these coconut water facts I found:
- Coconut water is more nutritious than whole milk. It has no casein and a good balance of magnesium and calcium.
- Rich in Vitamin C
- Acts as a natural diuretic and helps cleanse the liver and kidneys.
- Reduces problems for infants helps with GERDS, failure to thrive and other intestinal disorders
- Also helps other digestive problems such as indigestion, colitis, gastric ulcers, and diarrhea,
- It's an antioxidant, scavenging many types of destructive free radicals and protecting hemoglobin from nitrite-induced oxidation
- Chelating properties the coconut water contains "gold: and "silver" and sulphurated proteins, which is crucial to detox mercury and other heavy metals out of the cells and membranes. It also has certain fatty acids and sulfur holded amino acids to attach to the mercury. It is said to be water which contains nature's own "trick".
- Found as a blood plasma substitute because it is sterile, does not produce heat, and does not destroy red blood cells and is readily accepted by the body.
- Coconut water was used during World War II in emergency transfusions.
- Kills intestinal worms.
- Aid the body in fighting viruses that cause the flu, herpes, and AIDS
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Helps eliminate Candida yeast infections
- Inhibits the growth of mycoplasma
- Helps eradicate eczema
- It contains sugar, fiber, proteins, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and provides an isotonic electrolyte balance, making it a nutritious food source. It is used as a refreshing drink throughout the humid tropics, and is used in isotonic sports drinks. It can also be used to make the gelatinous dessert nata de coco. Mature fruits have significantly less liquid than young immature coconuts, barring spoilage
- Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294 mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most energy drinks..
- Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports drinks have around 41mg and energy drinks have about 200mg!