Photo from the movie The Maid
I've been sticking my toes into the topic of polygamy quite a lot these days. It all started out as a joke on Twitter. Though like any puddle, the source of that water is much larger and pretty damn deep.
So when I stumbled upon an article about a lawsuit by a feminist polygamist, my ears started itching. What is this about? Turns out that she is fighting for her right to have the relationship she wants. She doesn't want legal status or right to property, she just wants the government to stay out of her business.
Obviously my mind then switched to Brazilian women and their maids. You don't see the connection? Let me point it out for you. It is the perfect non-sexual polygamist relationship!
Seriously! Take any married Brazilian woman who has kids and a full time maid. That maid runs the house for her, helps raise her children, and does all the shopping. The two women also bicker. Yes, the maid and the woman of the house will exchange words occasionally, the maid will totally undermine the Mother in front of the children if she feels it's necessary, and the Mother will generally accept it. They are two wives living together!
But why does it work?:
1. The maid doesn't get to sleep with the husband (at least that the wife knows of) but she does have to babysit the children.
2. The wife does not have to share the household income, only the allotted salary that was agreed upon.
3. You have two women who have learned to co-exist due to their own personal needs. This is a key point in any polygamist relationship.
4. You can add another maid without pissing anyone off! Most likely everyone will just be happier with the additional help.
5. No long skirts, poofed hair, or generally ugly garbs unless worn by personal preference.
6. Everyone is of legal age.
7. You can use birth control and only have to provide it for one person.
8. Equality is not an issue. Remember the maid's bathroom post?
9. If the relationship does sour, you can always look for a new sister/maid/wife.
10. It is culturally acceptable.