Friday, January 6, 2012

Calling Home Made Easy


My Mother was very supportive about my move to Brazil. Who knew that support came with a cost, her cost. Regardless of my living outside of the country, she just couldn't drop our semi-daily phone conversations. Once I started reproducing the phone conversations became daily.

Now call me an old fashioned girl but I like a nice chat on the phone. Sure there's skype and a bunch of other options, but it just isn't the same. I can't pace in circles while chatting on skype or binge snack. It's kind of weird/gross with people watching you. Don't even get me started on how I can't skype and go to the bathroom. That's just down right frustrating. You turn on the facet and they still know what you are doing...

That is when Ray at American Heart, Brazilian Soul saved the day! Turns out that Ray and my Mom became besties via Facebook chat and he told her about buying a Brazilian phone number. Say what?! Now I don't know how the entire process works. That is where Ray comes in. He is the genius behind this new knowledge! Go check out his post on it: Global: we are huge fans

This is a must have for families of Brazilian expats! It is seriously awesome! My Mom emailed me one day with a Brazilian number and told me to call her. And it was a Rio land line!

So I called the number and got a Brazilian recording in English with a HORRIBLE accent. That is the added bonus as I laugh every single time I listen to it. It says: Press onie for Mooms cell. Press Twoo for Mooms Hoom. etc. By the way, in case you are a little slow this morning like me, I was writing phonetically.

Anyway, I just wanted to personally thank Ray. Now I can easily call Mom without it costing her or me an arm or leg.

Go learn how to get your own: American Heart, Brazilian Soul

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    I just wanted to let you know that you also have the option of using MagicJack. My boyfriend who lives in Minas, has a MagicJack so he has an American number. It is really easy to use the only thing to remember is that the MagicJack only works if you have a computer and internet connection.

    It is extremely inexpensive about $60 dollars a year, allows him to call any U.S phone number. You can add international calling for $5 (a month I think), which allows him to call any country so he isn't limited to American numbers.

    Daneris

    ReplyDelete
  2. take your game to the next level rachel! get a magic jack with an american number and then everyone in the US can call you for the price of a local call and you can call them too as much as you want for $5 a month. sit on the throne and yap away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Majic Jack was only $40 for the first year and $20 for each additional year- and no limits on how much we can talk. Carlos loves to talk to his old co-workers...and you can use the actual phone. It's lovely.

    As for me, I love my Google Voice. I got it before Google bought whatever company it was that started the service. My friends call me all the time, and I call from my computer. I can also text, use VM, use call forwarding (US numbers only.) It rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GET THE PHONE NUMBER! That's how my husband and I talked whenever we had to do the long distance Brazil/America thing. We talked for an hour or two a day (yes, a little pathetic, but we were falling in love... you know how that goes.) and it was so easy. LOVED IT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magic Jack is very cheap. I think we paid what Jennifer did, about $40 and that included the first year. It's easy for my family since they can just pick up the phone and dial a 7-digit number (I chose the same area code as my parents and sister).

    And Rachel, you're right about our move being costly to our mother. My mom has spent so much on shipping.

    ReplyDelete

/>